Friday, May 26, 2017

Final Reflection of the Year

One of the three most important things I learned this year was how to use TIQA format, how to write a formal and proper essay, and to always to do more than what is required.

I will remember the This I Believe speeches that we did in class for the rest of my life as it had a lot of mixed feelings and emotions. It showed me a lot about everyone in the class about their past. Many of us had very personal stories that some cry while others had entertaining ones that lifted up our spirits.

The nicest thing someone in our class did for me was helping me understand the homework and blogs. They would help me if they saw I was struggling with the work and give me strategies to help make the work easier. If they hadn't helped, I don't really think that I would find this ELA class easy.

I taught my classmate how to show emotion and feelings when they write and read out loud this year. They were struggling as some days they were too tired to show emotions in their writing.

I feel that my writing was the biggest improvement compared to other areas. Before, I would try for the minimum requirement to complete a writing piece. However, since writing blogs and essays in this ELA class is common. It made me change the negative hobby of always aiming for minimum to putting more effort into my writing.

The most challenging part of the year for me this year was making my This I Believe speech. It was difficult as my memories were either from my childhood and appeared blurry/ hard to remember the whole scene or the memories didn't connect with my belief. I think I had written five or six drafts of beliefs and when I started to believe in them before I decided to stop and use one of them.

The best writing piece I did this year would be the This I Believe speech. I think it was the best out of all the other writing pieces I did before since I put more effort into the speech more than the writing blogs and essays. Writing the speech made me sacrifice time for myself in order to finish and finalize it.

Out of all the books I read this year, Night was my favorite. It showed me how the author had overcame the experience of being in a concentration camp that was called Auschwitz (the most known and popular camp out of all of them) and the hardships he faced there. The fact that it is a memoir made me feel very terrible for Elie Wiesel as he saw his mother and sister were going to be cremated while his father had been killed by other prisoners.

The advice I would give to the students that are coming into eighth grade and this ELA class is to always do your homework, do more than what is required, and to never lie to Mrs. Larson as she'll know when you are lying.

No comments:

Post a Comment